Re: SAC

To: Mark Johnson <mjohnson@cymer.com>
Subject: Re: SAC
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Wed, 08 Jul 1998 00:23:30 -0700
Tom, et Listers,

Thanks, Tom, for the update regarding the STOA TAC materials. I'm sure that
everyone on the list is as relieved as I am that these vital records and
documents are now once again safely in your possession. And, oh yes, please
excuse my reference to the rotary powered  vehicle as a "conversion"
instead of a "modified" Alpine. I'm still a little unfamiliar with the
subtle distinction in terms used in this context. (BTW, what would the
people from the Mazda Club call it??)  But not to be distracted from the
important story here, as the rest of you on the list can see, Tom arrived
back home very late last night after a difficult, but apparently successful
effort to recover the TAC materials and therein lies an interesting tale.

As the theft of the TAC materials was likely the work of a professional
Alpine converter, a short list of the usual suspects was written down and
various TAC and STOA members assigned to investigate. But alas, all the
suspects on the list (even those with the letter "Z" in their last name)
had airtight alibis. Then, going on a hunch based on a description given of
a "strange looking man with a gray beard and a porkpie hat" seen lurking in
the parking lot around the time of the theft, and having exhausted all
other leads, the "Rescue Committe" converged on the Rootes Depot in Redwood
City. Upon their arrival they observed an amazing sight; several
transporter vehicles were lined up and in the process of loading up dozens
of Alpine bodies along with a great number Tiger parts. While  Bill Martin,
Norm's right hand man, directed the loading of the transporters, Mr. Miller
was seen running around laughing hysterically, alternately taking swigs
from a half empty bottle of Jim Beam and shouting "No one can stop me
now!!!" I did not take long for the Rescue Committee to grasp the situation
and to swing into action. The primary objective was recovery of the TAC
materials which was only accomplished after a terrific struggle between Mr.
Martin and eight Committee volunteers. Mr. Miller, while running down  a
flight of stairs to come to his colleague's aid, took a terrible fall and
was badly injured and ambulance was thereupon summoned to take him away.
Fortunately, his injuries are not life threatening, but he will need to
remain in traction for several weeks due to multiple fractures of the leg
and spine.

Piecing together information obtained from the truck drivers and documents
found in Mr. Miller's office, it turns out that Norm had worked out a plan
in cooperation with the Dept. of Corrections in New Mexico to
"remanufacture" 500 Tigers using prison labor. In what has to be the
ultimate irony, "Mr. Authentication" turns out to have been planning the
biggest Alpine conversion operation ever conceived!!  Now, suddenly, the
question of why anyone would devote years of their life to studying the
subtle distinction between Alpines and Tigers was perfectly clear!!  Who
else besides Norm had the knowledge and resources to pull off such a far
fetched scheme. (Except possibly Carroll Shelby himself.) But thanks to the
intervention of the Rescue Committe, Mr. Miller's diabolical scheme has
been foiled and those of us with authenticated Tigers can, once again, rest
easy. I think those of us on the list certainly owe Mr. Hall and his team a
deep debt of gratitude for their heroic efforts on our behalf. Obviously,
Tom is far too humble as his reticence to tell the whole story himself so
amply indicates.

I am sure that much more will be heard about the events that transpired
over this weekend (hopefully from some of those who were actually there)
and it will be interesting to follow this story as it continues to unfold.
I am particularly interested to see what Messrs. Miller and Martin will do
following this stunning setback. I understand that a computer will be
installed next to Norn's hospital bed which will allow him to communicate
directly with those of us on the list. But even this form of communication
will be difficult for Norm since he will have to do his typing using left
foot. Those of you wishing to send flowers and get-well wishes can contact
Norm through the Rootes Group Depot web site at <http:www.best.com/~rootes1>

Amazed in San Diego,

Bob

At 12:23 AM 7/6/98 -0700, you wrote:
>At 12:55 PM 7/5/98 -0700, you wrote:
>>Listers,
>>
>>Just about the time you think this story couldn't get any more bizarre, it
>>does!!  I have just learned from a reliable source close (very close) to
>>TAC that while the aforementioned meeting in the S.F. bar was transpiring,
>>someone broke into the rotary powered Alpine conversion vehicle belonging,
>>of course, to the TAC member, and stole all of the TAC materials he was
>>carrying inside including the certificates, stickers, and perhaps most
>>significantly, the records of the last 38 TAC'd Tigers, including those
>>TAC'd at Big Bear. ...
>
>       I'm not sure where Bob is headed with this new thread, but rest assured
>that the STOA TAC materials are still very much in our possession and we
>have (since the event) duplicated all records of the 12 new additions to
>the program at Big Bear.  As soon as I can spare Kevin's time, we will be
>updating the STOA web site with this info.  We hope to include the six to
>eight Tigers TACed in the Northwest by Larry Atkission and his crew, which
>will bring the new total to about 310.  BTW, the rotary powered Alpine is
>not a conversion but a genuine modified Alpine complete with correct VIN
Tags.