Re: Identification Dilema

To: "Steve Laifman" <Laifman@Flash.Net>
Subject: Re: Identification Dilema
From: "Rich Atherton" <gumby@connectexpress.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 1998 17:55:13 -0700
    I agree with the law that you mentioned, and we have a similar law here in
Washington State.  We also have some that Apply to cars.  If a dealer knows that
a car has beenrebuild from a total, they are required by law to tell you.
Unfortunately, the penalties are weak and difficult to enforce.

    My main idea for this databsae and plaque system is to keep a record for the
entire Rootes community of changes that are taking (have taken) place with these
vehicles.  If somebody does a modification that doesn't work, i doub't that they
would then sell the car.  I would expect someone to fix the problem, or return
it to what it was before, OR  Sell it as a project car with the included details
from this registration and sell it with full knowledge "as is"...Why wouldn't
they?  I have never sold a car when something has been wrong with it (major
componenet, or safty issue) to anyone with out telling them in detail about it.
And I hope that no on either of these lists would do that.

    I think this collected information would be a great asset to everyone.
Unless of course their car is perfect and will never ever need a new part of any
kind.  When it comes to parts interchangeability, this is the best source for
all of us.....But only if we use it.  Say for instance you had a Tiger with a
cooling problem (gee, what are the odds of that happening!), and you want to
improve the water circulation.  You could simply go to the new TPC (Tiger
Perfomance Conversions) web page, and do a search for "water pump"  And then see
what every one is using.  You'd be able to quickly see how many were still
running stock, newer 5.0 pumps, or one of the Ford Persormance pumps, and what
ever changes that need to be made to use it....This will work, as long as YOU,
the users on these lists, simply take the time to go through and enter their
information.  I know I will enter all of the infrmation I have on my Alpine
conversion up to this point, but can gaurentee that there will be many changes
once I restart this project.

    I would think that most people would like to do this.....Why wouldn't they?
Other than the time involved in doing so.  None of this stuff is Secret like the
TAC requirements are.  Since none one here is running a sponsored racing team
where the information could be concidered industy secrets or confidential
material.  We are all here for the same basic reason....for the continuation of
this Marque of cars, whether they are showroom stock or not....This idea will
greatly aid in that persuit.

    This is a great idea, However, this is just my opinion, and I could be
wrong..
(Apologies to Dennis Miller for stealing his closing line !)

Thanks
Rich