Re: Ignition Triggers

To: mjsutter@cts.com
Subject: Re: Ignition Triggers
From: gary_winblad@juno.com (Gary A Winblad)
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 1998 21:50:26 -0700
On Thu, 9 Jul 1998 18:24:55 -0700 "Mike Sutter" <mjsutter@cts.com>
writes:
>List people,
>
>I am in the process of upgrading the ignition on my car. I plan on
>installing an MSD 6AL spark box, but I am unsure of which type of
>trigger
>to use. Anyone out there want to give their opinion on points, unilite
>and
>magnetic type pick-ups, sorry no crank triggers, I'll listen. Anyone
>had
>any luck with Pertronics. I dont really want to buy the billett MSD
>distributor, so break away from this modified alpine authentication
>program
>and speak up.
>
>M. Sutter B382002475

I just put the MSD6AL in my car.   Works great.
I first used it with the old 289 -> stock Ford distributer
with Pertronix installed.  Worked GREAT with
and without the MSD.

Its now running with the 5.0L and the stock Ford
Duraspark with magnetic pick up.  Works GREAT too.

The tach will have to be modified though.  Because of the
"multiple strike discharges" you can't do anything but
use the tach output from the MSD.  They sell an adapter
BUT I did it cheaper (and better if I don't say so myself)
I used a .005MFD capacitor installed from the MSD
tach output to the low side secondary of the input
transformer inside the stock(well Alpine SV 7k tach)
tach.
If anyones interested I could give you further instructions.

I think the best thing I have noticed about the MSD
operation is the cold engine performance.  I don't use a
choke at all and with those multiple strikes, the car
doesn't need one!

Gary