Re: EXTREME CASE

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: EXTREME CASE
From: "Norman C. Miller" <rootes1@best.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 18:00:43 -0700
At 03:30 PM 7/13/98, Bob Palmer wrote:

>=85It struck me, from what I've heard, that perhaps the "Extreme Case" was
an example of what Doug was asking about; namely a car that has been so
extensively "restored" that a determination of authenticity is difficult or
perhaps even impossible even in principle=85

In my finite TAC experience, the obliteration of "factory" methodology has
on only three occasions rendered inspectors unable to determine the lineage
of the vehicle.  Working with current numbers, that's one percent of the
inspected cars.

>=85On the other hand, and correct me again if I'm wrong, I suspect that in
almost every case the verdict of a TAC inspection is either three thumbs up
or three thumbs down=85

Right you are.  Imagine yourself checking someone's car.  If you found a
convincing deviation from the identified "methodology pool", how could I,
as an inspector, not concur?  It is simply all yes, or nothing at all.

>=85Suppose a certain car does get two out of three thumbs up. Can this car
ever be re-submitted for inspection, either by the same owner or a
subsequent one? Statistically speaking, if on a given occasion, a car gets
two out of three votes, then after three or four more tries we can expect
it will get lucky and get a bingo=85

Your "two out of three" scenario is, as I've stated, hard to imagine.  With
TAC just beginning its germination outside of the bay area, I suppose there
might be an appeal process to consider.  Possibly something for the
Committee to wrestle with.  During the planning stages for this program
there was talk about what might happen if inspectors felt they couldn't
make an informed decision.  The answer was I believe, ask for help, which
assumes an all-knowing core group of senior inspectors.

>=85And another thought. Suppose Ramon is having a bad day and/or is p_ssed
off at the owner. Does his one vote forever damn that car to Authenticity
purgatory?? (Sorry Ramon, I know you would never be anything but objective,
but I had to pick a name.)=85

Ramon's, or any other vote, as you call it, has to be an informed descent.
"I don't care for this guy", is not a part of the "factory" methodology.

=85Well, Norm, I know you don't speak for TAC on these questions, but maybe
others besides me are curious about these and other questions regarding
TAC. It appears that quite a few on this list and within the greater clubs
membership are ill or misinformed about TAC. Personally, I'd like to hear
even more facts and fewer opinions for a while=85

I advise any and all who are interested in this topic to contact STOA via
Paul Reisentz and ask for a copy of the TAC Committee's procedural
document.  I've suggested to Tom Hall and others that those pages should be
available through their STAO web site, but what do I know?

Norm

Norman C. Miller

Rootes Group Depot
"The International Registry Of Sunbeam Tigers"
"The Book Of Norman, Volume I"
"Tiger Press"
"Web Page" <http://shell3.ba.best.com/~rootes1>