Re: Radio

To: Brock C Tella <brockctella@juno.com>
Subject: Re: Radio
From: Steve Laifman <Laifman@Flash.Net>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 10:21:42 +0100
Brock,

The original factory option antenna is located in that very location.  It is is
simple 3 piece which you could replicate at Pep Boys for $6.97 for a fairly
decent one.  Unfortunately, Sunbeam left no good way to route the wire into the
car through a grommet.  It kind of gets squezzed by the door, but not damaged
(much).  I run the wire over the top of the glovebox. There is no room for any
fancy ones that collapse flush, as there is no depth under that hole (unless you
don't mind never using that door again, so fancy brands are not necessary.  Just
try to get a stainless one, they are cheap enough.  The best have the lead wire
with connections on both ends.  The lower price models are already connected at
the base with a permanent crimp.  You do need to make sure the "teeth" on the
back side of the fender actually ground to the body.

Tougher decisions are mounting of radio and speakers.  I bought a Pioneer 435
DEH (CD).  Pep boys makes a "Universal Case" which is a black plastic thin box.
Break-outs in the front allow knobs or the new slide-in types.  A "U" cut in the
back wall clears the heater blower motor, when the front edge is center mounted
and the box is screwed to the metal core of the lower pad..  An aluminum bracket
can be bolted to the existing dash supports nuts, about half-way back on the
box,  Makes for a sturdy installation.

Speakers can be mounted under the dash.  I used self-enclosed 4" two way types
with swivel mounts intended for small pick-ups.  They have a little pad that you
can screw to the vertical box section, then the swivel brackets attach with
screws and adjustment knobs.  One is behind/below the glove box, the other on
the left side of the steering column.

Can't be seen, but sounds good.

It may not be the original 60"s AM radio, but I can play the early swing, jazz,
and rock on CD's, and get good FM broadcasts.

My Beach Boys "Little Deuce Coupe", and Benny Goodman get quite a work-out.

Steve
--
                      < one first win, is all >
                      < you get in this life. >