Re: Header Heat

To: FrizBMG@aol.com
Subject: Re: Header Heat
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Sun, 26 Jul 1998 11:05:55 -0700
Tony,

I have had the same experience as Mike with the same headers from Sunbeam
Specialties. I have run my car real hard on the track for extended periods
with no apparent ill effects on the starter. Although the starter was not
bad, I replaced it when I rebuilt the motor. That was three and one-half
years and twenty-five thousand miles ago. The clutch slave cylinder is a
different story. I have had problems there I think are heat related and
I've been told the same thing by a number of other Tiger owners; especially
those who have raced them. Wrap some head shield around the clutch slave
cylinder and also possibly around the header in that area. Of course, it
couldn't hurt to do the same with the starter, but it is probably not
necessary. Now, if I'd paid $150 for one of the bitchin small, high
revving, Ford starters, I might feel differently.

Let us know how those "performance-oriented improvements" work out.

Still desperately seeking a life in San Diego,

Bob