Re: Alpine Oddity & Singers

To: OldeAlp@aol.com
Subject: Re: Alpine Oddity & Singers
From: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 1998 13:17:47 -0700

OldeAlp@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 98-08-22 01:56:56 EDT, laifman@flash.net wrote:
>
> << If there were no differences in opinion, we
>  would
>  never have parimutuel horse racing, and if all cars were equal we would
>  have no reason to race them either. >>
>
> So, Steve, what you're saying is that jockeys and drivers have no influence?
>
> "Ole"

Of course not, Ole,

 The object of "handicapping", or class racing,  is to increase the influence
of the jockey, or driver, on the outcome.

As far as horse racing is concerned, they are very thorough in segregating and
equalizing many factors, including age, sex, weight, experience of the horse to
give the skill of the jockey the edge.  The "parimutuel" statement refers to
gambling for money.  Something we do not do in amateur sports.

But consider the meaning.  If everybody held the same opinion, they would all
bet on the same horse, and we wouldn't have gambling races anymore. Without
this income, we wouldn't have races at all.  Can't get many STP stickers on th
side of a horse.

In cars, where is the excitement if the enthusiasts all held the same opinion,
and "knew" which cars and drivers would win.  Who would watch a race.  I
disregard those cretins looking for an accident.

Same thing here.  If everybody had the same opinion of cars, we would all drive
the same car.  Wouldn't the world be poorer for it?

That quaoted saying is so old, that my grandfather knew it. So I hope you don't
think I made it up.

With regard to the sensibilities of the Singer owners, I know that there are
many fine qualitites of your cars, including the single OHC engine, that made
you select it as your favourite.  Everybody has there own weighting of values.
There is no "right" or "wrong" here, only a matter of value judgement.  Please
do not be offended if some others have a different weighting system, and their
own rationale for it. Many think the Tiger is ugly, handles poorly, is hot and
uncomfortable, is urnreliable, difficult to repair, etc., etc.  There may even
be some truth in those beliefs.  It's the "on-balance" decision of Tiger
enthusiasts to weigh these factors.

So her nose is too big, and she's fat, but have you seen the size of her dowry?

Steve
--
                      < one first win, is all >
                      < you get in this life. >