cams and wheels and 50 inches and pictures and names

To: "Tigerlist *" <tigers@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: cams and wheels and 50 inches and pictures and names
From: "Larry Wright" <lrw@aop.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 1998 08:43:01 -0400
Lawrence R. Wright
Purchasing Analyst
Andrews Office Products, Division of USOP
PH 301-386-7923  FX 301-386-5333
lrw@aop.com

Steve Laifman wrote:
>Larry Wright wrote:
>> Consider swapping out the cam in that thing; I ignored a warning to do
so
>> and
>> _sometimes_ regret it.
>Why?

It's a pretty aggressive cam (and, I suspect, a light flywheel, too).  The
idle is so rough, the whole car shakes; it seems the car is stressed out
(thus, so am I) just sitting there. The car is tough to drive at low
speeds, too; try to look dignified driving onto the field at a show, at
5mph, with the car pogo-ing in time with the engine. It feels like
something is going to _break_, and increasing the idle speed to 1300rpm+
doesn't appeal as an alternative. Now, on the road, the car runs great.
Supposedly I'm giving up low-end torque, but I seem to have plenty. And I
avoid driving in traffic, so the cam's less desirable traits don't show up
that often. So that's why I said "sometimes". Unless I have the engine
opened up, or something, it'll probably stay installed. I read somewhere,
BTW, that it's barely possible to swap cams in a Tiger w/the engine in the
car.

Larry Wright wrote:
>Bill Gullatt wrote:
>>I got a nice Grant Cobra Style wheel at SECO in Huntsville, AL.
>>It is Mahogany and polished aluminum. They even had the adapter in stock.

>>Make sure if you get a Grant to get their signature line.
(SNIP)
>I have the same wheel you have on the GQ

Wrong, wrong, wrong, Larry. Yours is indeed a Signature line, and yes it's
mahogany, and looks like a Cobra's, except the diameter. But the spokes are
satin finish, not polished, so there are at least two wheels in that
series. So would you read carefully first before you post next time?

Also: For some reason, while waiting for the Permatex to dry on the
thermostat housing, I took a couple of measurements on the back of the car.
If you start cutting directly behind the seats at the farthest-back
position, and move the panel between the cockpit and the trunk _forward_,
you have room for a pick-up bed about 50 inches long. The floor would be a
lumpy mess, especially going over the axle. Width would be open to
question; if you opened up to the highest point on the fins, the fuel
tank(s) would have to go elsewhere. And I don't know what to do for a
soft-top, although you could chop the back off a hard-top and mould in a
vertical panel w/glass. Call it, say, a Commer Cat. Might be a good use for
those dreaded "frauds", at least you couldn't pass it off as original. It
might be a first for a Rootesmobile; I've seen panel-truck variations of
Huskys and Imps, but no pick-ups? Oh, and no way I'm doing it to _my_ car.

Also: I was a mite premature about posting having sent new pics of the
Garage Queen to the web page. I think I read Mark went on vacation or
travel or something, and anyway, I'm sure he has a busy day job. I'll keep
checking & let y'all know when they surface on the web page.

Also: Origin of the name Commer? Founder's name, or short for "commercial",
or what?