Re: 2nd try, short long-post #8

To: Colin Cobb <cobmeister@zianet.com>
Subject: Re: 2nd try, short long-post #8
From: Larry Kee <lkee@sympatico.ca>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 1998 10:49:17 -0400
Colin Cobb wrote:

> I note that the communicator had a problem with some of the specila
> characters, thus am resending.
>
> ***********************
>
> Hey Gang,
>
> So, anyway...
>
> Daybreak at White's City is beautiful, no other adjective will do.
> There are scattered clouds streaked with pink and orange to the north
> and deep blue New Mexico skies to the east while thirty miles to the
> south the mountain tops have fluffy white clouds clinging to them. The
> temperature is in the 70's, humidity is non-existent, and a light
> breeze stirs the leaves. Loverly.
>
> Even though we sleep in 'til 6 AM, a first for this trip, we are still
> loaded up, gassed up, watered up, coffeed up, and headed out by 7:15.
> Since I want to check the mileage I have, for the first time during
> this tour, filled the gas tank all the way up. I don't like to fill
> 'Beamish all the way up because of the problem these cars seem to have
> with pushing gas back out the filler cap when filled. Besides, we have
> been stopping so often that filling up just wasn't necessary.
>
> Traffic is very light on US 62/180 as we head south toward El Paso,
> Texas. The two-lane road is dry and smooth so I put the speedometer
> needle on 75 and hold it there. It seems only minutes before we reach
> the Texas border and see the first sign giving milage to Las Cruces,
> NM. According to the sign, The Codpiece of America Tour has 171 miles
> to go.
>
> The highway immediately climbs into the Franklin Mountains, eventually
> cresting at about 5700 feet, a pretty respectable elevation for Texas.
> The 'Pine's temp gauge climbs from 75 C to 85 C as we climb the
> mountains but once over the crest the indicated engine temp plummets,
> dropping to 75 C and then going still farther down. I point out to
> Janet that if this little dude gets to running any cooler I can stick
> a couple of cans of Vern behind the alternator bracket to chill 'em.
>
> Janet asks what an "alternated backet" is.
>
> Sigh....
>
> Climbing back into the mountains we run through the clouds, the
> windshield misting over enough to require the use of wipers even
> though visibility remains pretty good. The little bit of moisture is
> well worth enduring to get the wonderful views of the surrounding
> mountains streaked with white clouds.
>
> Down off the mountain, I stop in the flats and put in a couple of
> pints of water. The car is not running hot, but why push my luck?
>
> An hour and a half later we are still pushing along at 75 when we find
> a road sign notifying us that El Paso is 20 miles down the road. About
> a mile after that we pass the El Paso City Limits sign. Thankfully, we
> are able to skirt El Paso to the north on Loop 375, a brand new
> four-lane bypass that really simplifies getting past the sprawling
> city with some of the worst urban freeways in the country.
>
> At the terminus of Loop 375, just before we climb back into the
> [...]
I have thoroughly enjoyed your postings as my first car was an Alpine
that I had many years of adventures in. One of my favorites was when an
old girlfriend liked to fold the seat down, sit in the back with her
legs stretched out to get some sun. Well, I didn't appreciate looking
like a chauffeur and old Beamer decided to let the battery cover bend
just enough to make contact with the posts....She never sat there again.

Regards from Toronto

Larry Kee