Re: Thermosthat

To: laifman@flash.net
Subject: Re: Thermosthat
From: FRANK_BONIFAZI@HP-FtCollins-om4.om.hp.com
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 1998 10:00:23 -0600
     Mark et. all,

     One of the first things I did to my Tiger last month was to replace
     the nice looking chromed after-market gooseneck with a utilitarian but
     very functional (and inexpensive) cast-iron one.  No more leaks at the
     intake manifold for me.  The old one looked like a welded fabrication
     of 2 parts (plate & bent tube) and rocked quite badly on a flat
     surface.

     Now that I think of it, I guess I am making progress with this beast.
     Next conquest - cooling the beast.  Thanks for all your previous
     inputs.  I now have a very detailed and organized plan of attack.

     Frank Bonifazi - 65 Mk1
     B9472682LRXFE

Author:  Non-HP-laifman (laifman@flash.net) at hp-ftcollins,mimegw2
Date:    8/27/98 9:25 AM

Mark, and list,

I used to have similar problems with the Mustang and those cool looking
chrome housings. Even those with "O-rings".  Problem was they are not
chromed cast iron, steel, or aluminum, but "pot-metal".  The ears would
bend, slightly when installed with moderate torque.  They "set" in that
position, andthe bolts no longer have tension holding it in place.
Continued tightening only bends them some more, until they are touching
the manifold. At this point, there is no longer any sealing pressure.

The recommendation of the original cast-iron design alleviates this.
Another choice is a Mustang NOS or re-pro housing.  They are made from
aluminum, which is quite rigid, and will not permanently bend, so they
maintain sealing pressure.  The re-pro's come in two kinds.  Both look
alike, but the more expensive one has the "Ford" logo and part number.
The plain one is just as good, and costs about $12-$15 at a Mustang
parts house.

Oh, yes - the thermostat.  I had recommended the Super Stant Stainless
Steel model, and 1 1/8 inch hole in the plate.  I am not sure if I gave
the heat range correctly.  I like 170F.  Hot enough to get your heater
useful in winter, but not so high as to give you any hot weather
problems.

Steve
--
                      < one first win, is all >