Re: Trans/Bell Housing ID

To: mmeswarb@huntel.net
Subject: Re: Trans/Bell Housing ID
From: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 1998 15:10:36 -0700

mmeswarb@huntel.net wrote:

> I swear I tried to find this in Norm's book, but maybe I'm just blind.
> Anyone know what transmissions are correct for the Tiger?  I have a
> narrow pattern toploader that looks like a Tiger trans, but has HEH-B on
> the tag.  I think I've heard HEH-E is correct.  What about this one?

According to Rootes Tiger Manual:
260 = "HEH-E"; 289 MkII = "HEH-B"

HEH-E is close ratio.  HEH-B is "wide ratio", which isn;t really all that
wide, and the better box for a street/Auto-X Tiger any day becasue of
better off line acceleration, and better rpm range in slalom.

It would appear you have a MkII gearbox.

The difference is in the internal gears, which are interchangeable.  Make
sure your box is 24.5 inches long, or its not got the correct output
shaft/housing for a Tiger.  The HEH-B case has two sets of 4 hole
patterns.  It will bolt on to a five bolt or a 6 bolt bell housing.
However, the front bearing retainer is slightly larger in diameter, with
the same bolt circle, and the 260 retainer can be bolted on to mate with
the stock 5 bolt housing.  Costs about $26.  If you ever go to a 6 bolt
engine, it will just mate up with the other set on holes, and you would put
the larger front bearing retainer back on.  You can also put the wide ratio
gears in your 260 box.

> Also, I think I've found one of the dual pattern Ford bell housings. How
> do I know it isn't a run-of-the-mill one that's just been redrilled?
> Anyone know a part or engineering number for this?  A good description
> would also help.

The "True" Ford bi-sexual bell housing is from a truck application, is made
of cast iron, and is heavier than hell.  An HEH-B
would allow the cast aluminum 6 bolt to be  used, or the 5 bolt.  You can
convert any top-loader (except the really big motor jobs) to an 8 bolt by
putting your stuff in a case from another car, as long as you have the
output-shaft and the tail stock.  You can convert it to a wide ratio at the
same time.  Cost about $500-$600, assuming yours isn't junk.  You can buy a
re-built one from a box house for about $1000 outright, but you'll have a
hard time with the correct size output shaft.  Just a few Fairlanes had
them. NO Mustangs.

> My car is now mostly complete AND I don't plan to go through that again!
> So, this stuff is basically left over.  If anyone thinks they can use
> it, I'm open to offers.  I live near Omaha, NE, but could bring it to
> Big Sky if I still have it by then.
>
> Thanks,
> Mark

If you told the list what condition you believe it to be in, and how much
you want, it can be shipped UPS in a fibreboard coffin.  Got a MkII HEH=B
in mine, and it's just great.  Keeping the perfect HEH-E anyway, but it's
in storage.

--
                      < one first win, is all >
                      < you get in this life. >