Re: Really! Rare option LAT 5-1/2 found

To: "Larry Wright" <lrw@aop.com>
Subject: Re: Really! Rare option LAT 5-1/2 found
From: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Sep 1998 20:37:58 -0400
At 09:25 AM 8/31/98 -0400, you wrote:
>I was getting the Garage Queen back down off the jackstands...  What
>I have must be LAT 5-1/2. They look exactly like the LAT 5's, attach to the
>frame, not he spring leaves. However, they are not welded on, they are
>secured by bolts through the L-shaped bracket, and then through the frame
>channel. The bolts are long and go all the way up to the top of the
>channel, thus tightening the bolts tries to compress the channel of the
>frame; doesn't look too strong but I guess it has held up for +/- 30 years.
>Anybody else have this set-up? I'll probably switch over to a DWTA anyway.

Larry,
        My "weld on" Traction Masters are exactly as you described.
There was a hole in the L shaped bracket so I drilled and tapped the frame
and used a bolt to hold the brackets and bars in the proper position
prior to tack welding the brackets.  I then removed (to prevent burning
the bushing) the bars and completed the welding.  It sounds like the
orginal installation person did not have access to a welder on your set.

James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others