Re: LAT hood

To: "Waybright, Stephen" <Stephen.Waybright@compaq.com>,
Subject: Re: LAT hood
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Fri, 04 Sep 1998 06:41:35 -0700
Stephan,

I believe the list server only supports plain text e-mail. Regarding the
idea of a metal LAT hood replica, I believe a few have already been made in
aluminum. Stephan Alcala is an expert aluminum fabricator and would be one
good possibility to do the work. Also, you might check with Dale
Akuszewski. I believe there are three or four cars in his"go-fast" crowd
that have aluminum "bonnets". If you start from scratch, I would suggest
starting with a straight stock metal hood since even the best fiberglass
ones will be somewhat irregular. I would also add a skosh more room over
the carburetor.

Good luck,

Bob

At 07:59 AM 9/4/98 -0500, Waybright, Stephen wrote:
>Attempt #2 at sending this... I think I default sending e-mail as html and
>the list server can't support it. Anyone know for sure?
>
>Anyway, I'm looking to upgrade my Tiger to the LAT hood option as part of
>the restoration process, but am not thrilled with the fit & finish of the
>fiberglass/carbon fiber parts. I'm lean toward replicating the style of the
>LAT hood, in metal.
>
>Does anyone:
>*      Have dimensioned patterns of the hood to execute said fabrication
>*      Have a LAT hood in my area which could be made available to get the
>dimensioned patterns
>*      Have a trashed hood they'd part with cheap, again to get dimensions
>*      Interested in buy a fiberglass reproduction at a discount if I get
>one to measure up
>
>Stephen Waybright
>Houston TX (Restoration shop w/ Tiger in San Antonio)

Robert L. Palmer
Dept. of AMES, Univ. of Calif., San Diego
rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu
rpalmer@cts.com