Engine swap for alpine

To: TBeloney@Wyse.com, tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Engine swap for alpine
From: FrizBMG@aol.com
Date: Sun, 6 Sep 1998 17:39:52 EDT

 Hi
On Sep 4 an 6 (or so) you wrote:

<<<Hopefully I don't get verbally abused by all the Tiger owners out there,
but

I've got a really nice 62 Alpine that I'm considering dropping in a Ford 2.8

V6 into since I need to move to a new clutch and synnchro tranny anyhow.

Have you guys heard good things about this?  My very first car was a Capri

II and I had pretty good luck with it (well, the engine anyhow).  Having

bought a house and gotten married all in one year and now thinking about

kids, a Tiger is not in my immediate future - besides, I like the fins on

the Alpine.  Unless someone wants to donate a beater Tiger for a good

Alpine, that's the way I will probably go.

I'd be interested in hearing what you guys have to say, even the abusive

comments.

and
<<<<wrote:

> Now I'm kind of interested in the Mazda rotary.  I read you can easilly get
> 180 - 200 horses out of one, but I can't find any good detailed info on
> actually installing one, and which one to use.  So many questions (engine
> mounts, gearbox, clutch, steering column, rear axle, etc. etc.).  Does
> anyone know where I can get good info?>>>>>

Well sorry Tim I dont plan on abusing you,Ill leave that to other members of
the Tiger mailing list.
 First off I would be thinking of an engine other than a 2.8 V6 ford.The 2.8
is no longer used in prodution cars and the 2.9 isnt the same critter.I
believe that the 4 speed gearbox was an item imported from germany.( I changed
engines in a 2.8 mustang a LONG time ago I was surpised to see that it was not
a domestic item.)The 2.8 may have been an import item as well.Expect it to be
expensive because you will be paying import prices.There was also a long
article on 2.8 conversions in the AE/TE "survivors guide" grey binder.
 I at one time had a Mazda RX7.I remember working on the engine,and that it
was strange because it had 2 ignition systems.One of the members of the
British Drivers Club here in Columbus put a (13B ?) mazda high performance
engine into a bugeye sprite.With Nitrous.Took him over a year to do it because
it was not an easy swap. It think the(original) rear axle in that lasted just
over a month.
 Overall I think you have a good idea here.Domestic engines should cost less
and have as good a kick as some of the imports.I remember talking to someone
last year at the Mid Ohio vintage car runoffs who had put a big Chevy 4 cyl in
his alpine and was real happy with that.What about a Chevy V6? they come in
different sizes  and they will bolt onto a rear wheeldrive trans setup(wont
they?) so you can maintain the Alpine driveline set-up.And there is some hi-po
stuff available for the chevy  V6 as well.Measure your engine compartment and
see what fits.There was also a Hotrodding book (By Petersen Publishing )that
dealt with engine swaps.I have a copy.It gives good examples of engineering to
fit it was entitled "Engine Swaps"(or swapping).It will give you a fair idea
of what you are up against.
 You might also take a look at what the Healy and MG(B) pages are recomending
as far as engine swaps for those cars.I seem to remember a long posting on a
brit car site dealing with Toyota engine and trans conversions for "MG-Healy
Spridgets".
Good luck
Tony