Sheet Metal Flanging Tool

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Sheet Metal Flanging Tool
From: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 1998 19:34:02 -0400
Tiger Folks,
        Today I was making another patch  for my Tiger.
When I got ready to put the offset lip on the edge of the
patch I found that my air operated flanging tool was not
doing a very good job of crimping the flange. I took it
apart by unscrewing the upper end from the air cylinder.
There was a fixed piston with about a 3/8" shaft sticking
through the middle. Being not too bright today I hooked
up the air hose and hit the trigger.  100 psi sent two
O ringed pistons and a heavy spring about 50 feet out
of the garage and into the grass.  One of the pistons
mounted the shaft (about 5" long) and the shaft passes
through the other piston with the spring between the
pistons.
        The upper end of the tool that contains the
flanging die as well as a hole punch die, has a hole that
the shaft passes into.  There is a stack of strong belvell
washers to return the hole punch shaft.
        I could not get the die assy apart, but I was able
to compress it in a bench vise.
        After assembling the tool the die does not close
at all.  I can not find the original paperwork that had
a exploded diagram.
        For the life of me I can not figure out how the
shaft (obviously pushed by air pressure) operates the die.
        Any one have experience repairing an air operated
sheet metal flanging tool?

James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others