Re: Fw: Bogus Claim for Oil Additive (long)

To: keven@eaglenet.com
Subject: Re: Fw: Bogus Claim for Oil Additive (long)
From: FRANK_BONIFAZI@HP-FtCollins-om4.om.hp.com
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 17:00:26 -0600
     Tiger people,

     I need to share with you a my recent (but sad) Prolong experience.

     As some of you know, I have been dealing with a severe over heating
     problem (see old postings) with my Mk1.  I was finding it impossible
     to drive in the day time out here in Colorado for the whole summer.  I
     only purchased this car in May!  Stop and go driving would result in
     210+ deg temps and once up to 235 ish on a trip to Denver CATO meeting
     (my first boil over).

     3 weeks ago I had the radiator "power" back flushed and a Prolong
     coolant base added.  The recommendation by the mfg. was 2 qts of this
     "magic" stuff (@$20/can!) 1/2 gallon of coolant, with the rest water.
     This was for a 4 gallon system.  You then go for a 30 minute drive to
     have this stuff "bond with your radiator".

     As some of you have stated to me about other quick remedies... "DON'T
     DO IT!".

     The 30 minute hwy drive (at 90+ deg ambient) was at the usual 210+ deg
     radiator temperature. But the 2 mi. drive from the hwy to my house
produced
     a sudden temperature rise to 245+ at the last turn into my driveway.  I
     never experienced such a rapid temp. rise before.

     Needless to say, this was the worst boil over ever.  The poor beast was
     sadly parked in the garage, frothing capacinos.

     Prolong provides a tech-line for customer support (they're very busy by
the
     way).  A support tech said "now that our stuff has bonded with your
     radiator, we need to get your temperature under control".  I thought that
     was the reason I bought the stuff!  He recommended draining off some and
     adding std. radiator coolant.  And he was going to send me some of their
     highly regarded oil additive for my troubles.  Sounds like I should stay
     away from that stuff too.

     Having had enough of this BS, I tore out the radiator latter that day and
     sent it out to get a Modine (heard its the best on this channel)
     high-performance 4-core replacement. I also had the radiator shop clean
out
     the side tank at the same time.  Luckily, the new wider radiator (1/4+")
     just fit the shroud.  New coolant hoses from S.S. all around too.

     Turned the beast on and smelled something strange.  Checked fan belt etc.
     for rubbing but no problems.  Walked around the back of the car to find
     oil/moisture drops coming out of the left (driver) side tail pipe!  The
oil
     is dark if it matters.  My previously clean floor is my evidence that this
     is a brand new problem. Needless to say the beast didn't  make it to the
     Colorado British Conclave event the following day.

     Am I hearing comments of head-gasket or warped head out there?  Your
     comments would be appreciated.

     Regards,

     Frank Bonifazi
     B9472682LRXFE