Re: TE/AE Tech Tip Warning

To: STUART_BRENNAN@HP-Andover-om3.om.hp.com
Subject: Re: TE/AE Tech Tip Warning
From: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 10:51:08 -0700

STUART_BRENNAN@HP-Andover-om3.om.hp.com wrote:

>          A few years back I heard of someone who refinished a Tiger steering
>
>      wheel with what could be this same goop.  He described it as that
>      stuff you buy at craft stores to pour over log sections to make coffee
>      table tops, etc.  All was fine until he went for a drive, with either
>      bug repellent or sun tan lotion on his hands.  The coating began to
>      dissolve!
>
>      Stu

Stu,

There are coatings, and there are coatings.  A good plastics, or auto-body
paint store should carry a clear poly-urethane coating that uses a catalyst
hardener, called a "two stage" process.  This is the same stuff that is used
in what was called "bar top" finish.  Another "bar top finish" was actually
poured on the surface and allowed to harden.  This stuff ended up 1/8 inch
thick, or greater.  Not the same as a brush-on uncatalyzed polyurethane used
in kitchen cabinet brush-on refinishes, or even hardwood floors.  Talk to a
good automotive paint store, or plastics supply house.

Warnings:  The catalysed stuff can solidify in your spray equipment if it
isn't promply cleaned out.  Any of this stuff may turn yellowish in a lot of
sunlight.  Even heard of "clear coat" (same stuff) turning yellow.

Steve
--
                      < one first win, is all >
                      < you get in this life. >