Introduction and Questions

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Introduction and Questions
From: Bob Burruss <burruss@camber.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 16:01:35 -0600 (MDT)
Hi All!
    After a few weeks of observing, I thought it time to introduce myself.
My name is Bob Burruss and I've been a Sunbeam owner for nearly 15 years.
My Sunbeam is a 1966 Tiger Mk1A that was my daily transportation in College.
Originally BRG, it is now Guards Red and wears matching red Sunbeam steel
wheels (the rears widened to 6.5") and Alpine trim rings.  Hopefully I'll be
adding a set of Superlite wheels soon.  Underhood it is equipped with a Ford
motorsport cam, rhoads lifters, Edelbrock F4B, and holley carb, and 289 block.

    Fellow Sunbeamer Tom Hill (Series V Alpine) and I were in route to the
TE/AE event in Florida this past Friday (and almost there), when my 11 year
old engine ejected much of its coolant through the left exhaust pipe.  Head
gasket we surmised, even though the engine had been running a steady 170
degrees.  Unfortunately, a little disassembly revealed that the problem was
really a dropped valve.  I won't know for certain until I can get it out,
but I'm expecting one cracked head and one holed piston, and I'm skeptical
about the block itself judging from the condition of the spark plug.

    So my question is this.  I'm considering a roller cam 302 as a
replacement for the 289 (either a freshened one from a salvage yard, or the
Ford SVO/SVT crate engine).  If anyone out there has made this swap, I'd
appreciate any info they could share.  Of particular interst to me is:
     Will generator bracket bolt on to later model heads?
     Where can I find the appropriate six bolt bell housing?
     What about clutch slave cylinder adaptation?
     Does original flywheel have the proper amount of imbalance?
     Are there any timing cover/water pump, starter motor issues?
     Headers or manifolds?
     (Does anyone have a set of the cast iron Tri-Ys for the Tiger any more?)

Also, friend Tom is encouraging me to look into the T-5 installation.  My
Tiger is no show car, but neither am I interested in cutting it up.  Does
the short tailshaft housing for the T-5 put the shifter anywhere near the
original location, and what is required as far as drive shaft and
speedometer adaptation?

     Well it looks like this will be my 1998 winter project.  With a little
luck, the Tiger will be renewed and better than ever for a little spring
time cruising.  In the mean time, I look forward to swapping stories and
tips with fellow Sunbeamers!  Thanks!

                                          Bob Burruss
                                          (burruss@camber.com)