RE: Think?

To: "Tigerlist * (E-mail)" <tigers@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Think?
From: Theo Smit <TSmit@novatel.ca>
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 1998 13:44:21 -0600
It takes some amount of _torque_ to rotate the engine. How much depends on
internal friction as well as the work done compressing the intake charge in each
cylinder and to open and close the valves, and to run the oil pump. Even if this
torque remained constant over all RPM and load conditions, (I would guess that
some friction loads go down, while the torque requirement for the oil pump would
certainly go up 'till you hit the pressure limiter), the power required to
rotate the engine (in HP) is (torque (lb-ft)* RPM) / 5252. So if you measured
the average torque required to rotate the engine through one revolution and
measured 10 lb-ft, that would mean that at 500 RPM engine rotation would suck up
0.95 HP, while at 6000 RPM the same torque load costs you 11.4 HP. SO if a large
part of that is friction maybe you can get a decent benefit from an additive

I hear that Roots-type blowers (on the top fuel cars) typically require 400 or
so horsepower input, at whatever RPM they run the engine at. Those belts gotta
be strong...

Theo Smit
tsmit@novatel.ca
B382002705