Re: Rusty Boot

To: "K. Patrick Wheeler" <pwheeler@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Rusty Boot
From: jay peterson <japeterson@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 1998 21:37:51 -0700
K. Patrick Wheeler wrote:

> The boot (trunk) lid on my SV has proceeded to rust along the lower edge to
> the point it is visible from the outside and is bubbling through the paint.
> In looking at a fix for this it appears there are two options, replace it
> entirely or cut the entire section out and have new metal welded in.  Has
> anyone else experienced this and have any particular recomendations?  The
> lid is a bit rough and a replacement might be a better option, anyone have a
> nice rust free version that they'd be willing to part with?
> -Patrick
Patrick,
I have the same problem with my Tiger Mk 1 and I have opted to replace
the boot with a new one. After weighing the cost and effort of repairing
the damage, and realizing the rust would probably come back later
anyway, it seemed prudent to obtain a different one.
I do not know what caused yours to rust, but I believe mine was due to
having holes drilled into for the license plate that also allowed water
to enterand collect in the bootlid. Since I do not intend to repeat this
in the future, I have procured a license plate mount that should allow
use of the boot lid handle for mounting instead of drilling new holes.
It is a part manufactured by EMPI (Volkswagen aftermarket) and also has
a light in it which I may or may not use. If anyone is interested, the
EMPI part # is 00-9457-0 and runs around $9.00, but will require 2 extra
holes to be drilled in the bracket as the existing ones do not line up.
Jay Peterson