Re: IRS for Sunbeams

To: tigerpb@ids.net, tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: IRS for Sunbeams
From: Carmods@aol.com
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 16:20:54 EST
In a message dated 98-10-28 17:17:38 EST, tigerpb@ids.net writes:

<< Anyone got a late Model Tbird/Cougar? They all came with IRS, and the 4
 bolt wheel patern matches the Tiger. Might be interesting- they're more
 plentiful than Jags in the boneyard and probably a lot cheaper to buy.  Get
 out the tape measure and report back! >>

Hi Paul,
The late model T Bird/Cougar/Mark VIII  use a 5 bolt 110mm pattern. I have
redrilled the mounting flange to a 5 bolt 4 1/4 inch pattern which fits 5 bolt
Mustang wheels. Also the tread would need to be narrowed by nearly 4 inches to
keep the wheels under the fenders which may be possible. I've been able to
narrow the tread by 2.75 inches to fit a Cobra Replica and shorten the
halfshafts without having to cut new splines. The carriers are aluminum and
the brakes are disks. The Mark VIII used aluminum lower suspension arms which
are very light and look pretty good. So as you say, those cars are showing up
in junk yards and they might be a good choice for a Tiger.
                             John Logan