Re: Simple Lifter tap fix and bulk Sunbeam storage

To: Chris.S.Mottram@ecc.com, tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Simple Lifter tap fix and bulk Sunbeam storage
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Mon, 02 Nov 1998 07:19:27 -0800
Chris,

Tigers, at least real ones, have two access holes in the firewall just
adjacent to the accelerator pedal; one for the (@#$%! rear valve cover bolt
and another one just below it for the #8 spark plug (changed that one
recently??). What size socket set were you using, 1/2"? I'm not sure what
valve covers you are using, but I use a 1/4" socket set with a universal on
the valve cover bolts. The hardest one for me is the rear upper right-hand
side. Some bolt head types are easier to work with than a plain hex-head.

I hope the hand heals quickly.

Bob

At 09:53 AM 11/2/98 -0500, Chris.S.Mottram@ecc.com wrote:
>My Tiger developed an annoying lifter tap.  No problem, just pull the left
>valve cover and set the clearances.  I've done it opn the Alpine many
>times.  2 hours and a shredded hand later, the valve cover comes off (@#$%!
>rear valve cover bolt - engineered by satan)  The center bolt is in a
>channel too slim for any socket made in the last 50 years. Luckily I have a
>snap-on socket set from the 1920's left to me by a family friend.  It only
>comes out as a last resort but worked for both bolts.
>This was the first time I ever opened it up, and it was unlike the Alpine
>valve train.  30 seconds with a 5/8 socket and the tap was gone.  2 more
>hours to put back on the valve cover and I'm back in business.
>Did I miss some secret to getting this done faster????
>
>My two car garage has steel lolly columns in the middle seperating  the
>bays into two 11 foot wide 20 foot deep spaces.  I purchased 2 wheel
>dollies from NorthernHydraulic ($100), put the Alpines rear wheels on them,
>pushed it into the left front corner of of my garage.  The dollies enable
>the rear to be pushed sideways to the wall.  With the Alpine about 4 inches
>from the side wall, the Tiger can squeeze in to the same bay with a few
>inches of clearance.  With one all the way to the front and one all the way
>to the rear, you can work on both engines from the left side.  Anything
>else requires the cars to be moved.
>
>See ya,
>
>Chris

Robert L. Palmer
Dept. of AMES, Univ. of Calif., San Diego
rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu
rpalmer@cts.com