Re: Barrel sleeves

To: tiger technologies <tartanad@ix16.ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Barrel sleeves
From: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 1998 19:03:04 -0800

tiger technologies wrote:

> To all:
> A friend of mine who works for NASA was telling me the other day about
> recent research in the development of non-metal ..... some sort of glass or
>silicone
> or something sleeves ......
>
> Jeff the Tigerman

Jeff,

Not aware of frictionless materials for internal combustion
engines, although we have some strong materials that are
non-metallic and take great loads at temperatures beyond
metal capabilities for high temperature (5000 deg F and
above, not 260 deg F).

There is, however, a growing use of carbon fiber mesh
inserts into aluminum castings around the automobile
cylinders.  The material is woven into a sleeve and cast
within the aluminum blocks within the cylinder walls around
each bore.  They allow the cylinders walls to be much
thinner, and lighter, yet retain sufficient mechanical
strength (Accura NSX).  Coatings of chromium have been used
to reduce friction and wear on the aluminum bore surfaces,
and dimpled to retain oil (Porsche 356S - 1958).  Various
ceramic and ceramic coated bits have been used for high
temperature aplications  ( shuttle tiles, turbo-charger
turbines, exhaust systems like Tiger Technologies
'aluminized' exhaust), and flame sprayed cero-metallic
compounds on jet engine and rocket motor pump turbine blades
and Jett-Hott headers since 1960's.

Carbon fiber, carbon-carbon, and Kevlar composite structures
are used for high strength and light weight pressure vessels
as well as for ablative rocket engine nozzles.

If you have any more specific knowledge I would be
interested in hearing about it.

Steve
--
                      < one first win, is all >