Hard top paint protector

To: "Tiger's Den" <tigers@Autox.Team.Net>,
Subject: Hard top paint protector
From: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 09:30:43 -0800
'Beamer's

I have read the previous complaints about "ugly black
streaks", and found paint damage on my own car's new paint,
where the back hardtop seal rubs the paint.  To solve this,
I went to the major supplier of racing "spots" for door
numbers to get some clear protective shapes like the
peel-off racing numbers.

They did not appear to be particularly interested in the
market, nor would they sell the raw materials, or provide
the source of the material.  This is a heavy duty clear
vinyl film that has no adhesive, but sticks to the paint
with a static electricity (?), and water plus squeegee.
They just peel off at the end of the top season, and are
cleaned and stored for the next year.  It is made for
commercial uses and comes in large minimum quantities.

Undismayed, I found my own (expensive) source for a limited
quantity of this heavy film, made my own patterns (many
times) to fit my car (MkI) and made a prototype.  It went on
easily with a slightly soapy water on the body surface and a
squeegee to take the air and water out, leaving it to cling
well.  Some small bubbles remained, probably due to my
squeegee being to large.

While my prototype was one piece, I determined that a two
piece set is easier to cut out, put on, remove, and store.
Any overlap at the back edge can be left there, or trimmed.

The pattern fits against the soft top to rear of body seal
(Sunbeam Specialties part AT63, that goes between the back
of the soft top from the front of the trunk and rear
fenders.  The width is under the hardtop (when installed),
and includes "ears" to cover the paint under the rear rubber
corner pads (S.S. HT56).  Since the Alpine II-V, and all
Tigers use the same parts here, I assume it fits them the
same way.

I was able to get a few more pieces out of the material I
bought.  The master patterns of the two pieces are marked on
the film paper peel-off backing of the sheet, and a sharp
scissors is the only tool you need to cut the pattern out,
and peel off the backing (plus a squeegee to apply).  So
there is some of your loving skill needed.

If anyone is interested in one of the few extra sets, I'll
send it to them in a paper mailing tube for $35, including
postage, in the CONUS (Continental United States).

Reply by e-mail, if interested.

Steve

--
                      < one first win, is all >