Radiator crud

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Radiator crud
From: STUART_BRENNAN@HP-Andover-om3.om.hp.com
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 09:30:58 -0500
     A general question:

     Inside our radiators,  white crud seems to accumulate around the end
     of the tubes, around the solder joint between the tube and the header.
      This stuff seems to gather even in cars with yearly flushes, with
     fresh coolant and distilled water.  What is this stuff, and why do the
     coolants that claim to prevent all sorts of corrosion fail to prevent
     this?

     Cars that sit over the winter seem to have more radiator problems.
     Would it be a good thing to start the engine once in a while to
     circulate the coolant? I know there would be a down side to this for
     the oil, unless you get it up to temperature for a while, to drive the
     moisture out.  Any Thoughts?

     Stu