Re: pain in the axle

To: Scott Lampert <netscott@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: pain in the axle
From: Tom Hall <modtiger@engravers.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 18:22:19 -0800
At 05:32 PM 11/24/98 +0000, you wrote:
>i'm trying to remove my rear axles to install dale's disc break upgrade.
>i have removed the nuts and bolts holding the back plate.
>i tryed the chain to the hub (held on with the lug nuts) and pulling
>trick i read on these pages, but had no luck. i just want to make sure
>that there is nothing more to remove.i guess the next thing is to get a
>slide hammer.any help would help.
>scott
>B9472628

        The tool you need is a puller designed for the Dana type tapered axle.
It
has a set of 3 or preferably 4 bars which bolt to the lug nuts, and
threaded center which aligns with the center of the axles.  Start by
removing the cotter pins and castelated nuts and washers.  Reinstall the
nut backwards, flush with the end of the axle.  Install the puller and
tighten against the axle/nut.  The puller will have a hex on the outer end
of the threaded center, and a hex hammer lever to tighten the hex.  The
typical operation requires you to tighten the center by hammering on the
end of the lever using a 4 to 5 lb hammer.  When it doesn't seem to tighten
any more, remove the lever and strike the end of the center with the
hammer.  Repeat this tighten to rotate - hammer on end operation until the
hub free's itself from the axle with a loud bang.  The nut performs two
functions, first it retains the hub, and second, it prevents the axle from
collapsing at the cotter key hole as you hammer on the end.  The first time
you do this, you will be amazed at the amount of energy/force required to
perform this operation.

Tom