Re: IRS and Satch the Jailbird

To: "Mike Sutter" <mjsutter@cts.com>, <tigers@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: IRS and Satch the Jailbird
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 1998 12:16:38 -0800
Mike, et Listers,

The story of 'ol Satch, according to my imperfect recollection, is that he
was accused by the teenaged daughter of his longtime girlfriend, the "Leggy
Stockbroker", of molesting her (whatever that means). The case was settled
out-of-court and never went to trial. Obviously, if this is anywhere near
correct, Satch never went to prison either. It's possible that he was
"detained" in some form by the authorities - not sure about these details.
As a result of the controversy, Autoweek dropped Carlson like a hot potato.
Now, I sure have no idea about the "truth" in this matter, but without
further knowledge would tend to put any harsh judgements aside.

Maybe some of our other Listers can add to or correct my version of this
story.

Bob

At 05:48 AM 11/28/98 -0800, Mike Sutter wrote:
>Listers,
>
>In this weeks Autoweek there is an article (page 28) about a bolt in IRS
>assembly that was intended to be on the optional equipment lists for the
>Mustang and GT 350. Several units were actually built and tested underneath
>Ford Falcons. The IRS used a Jag center section, fabricated steel hub
>carriers and lower arm. The upper-arm duties were handled by the half
>shafts. The article states that the same basic design was used in the 3000
>series (Big Block) Cobra. The article has a photo of a reproduction that
>was manufactured for display at the Shelby Headquarters opening in Vegas.
>For all of you Listers interested in an IRS set-up for the Tiger, you may
>be able to adapt some of the ideas into a smaller system. A trip to Vegas
>may be in order.
>
>Where's that soapbox?.....There it is.
>
>And as far as Satch Carlson goes. Didn't ol' Satch do time in prison for
>inappropriate sexual activity with a minor?  I too enjoyed Mr. Carlsons
>writings in Autoweek during the eighties, but now everytime I read or hear
>something of him, his literary prowess is overshadowed by the fact that he
>is child molester. If I have my info wrong, someone correct me. I didn't
>want to believe it when first heard it.
>
>Mike

Robert L. Palmer
Dept. of AMES, Univ. of Calif., San Diego
rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu
rpalmer@cts.com