Re: X-frame, exhaust "pass throughs"

To: MWood24020@aol.com
Subject: Re: X-frame, exhaust "pass throughs"
From: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Sat, 05 Dec 1998 17:37:54 -0500
At 01:59 PM 12/5/98 EST, you wrote:
>I am going to need to replace the exhaust cut outs or pass throughs in the X-
>frame of my Tiger.
>I checked out Martel's web site and it looks like he charges about $575 for
>the necessary pieces (I imagine that's Canadian dollars!((COME ON U.S. $!!!)).
>That sounds a little steep, even though I have heard nothing but glowing
>reports relative to his work.
>Does anyone know of any other sources for these pieces?
>Mike Wood
>B382002273

Mike,

You might consider how I solved the problem.

I bought a 10 foot 3 inch EMT (3 1/2" OD with ~ 1/16" wall)
from the local electrical supply house (cheap, less than $30).
I then cut the tubing at an angle to match the angle of the
X cross member.  I then made two 1/16" plates (With a 3 1/2"
oval hole) for the front and rear of the angled tube.  The plates
were cut to fit the sides of the X member.  A third plate
was formed to fit the bottom of the X member with a slight
hump to match the tube.

The EMT is electroplated with zinc, so I ground off the
zinc in any area I would weld.

If you do not have 1/16" plate handy then you could cut
a section of tubing lengthwise and flatten.  Lead hammers
work fine to flatten such a thing without putting a lot
of dents in the metal.

I then welded front plate to the tube, inserted the tube
through the rusted out area that previously had the pass
through.  The rear and bottom plate were then welded on.
(All parts welded together and to the X member.)
This provides a neat 3 3/8" hole to pass the exhaust pipe
through and it also does not collect water and dirt like
the original.

Recommend that your Tiger be on a lift to do the welding.
It is difficult to get a good weld while laying on your back
under a Tiger.

I previously did the same thing on another Tiger using
pipe with 1/4" walls and 1/8" plates.  This I feel was
overkill and added more weight than necessary.

James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others