RE: Paint Removal

To: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>, Carmods@aol.com
Subject: RE: Paint Removal
From: Theo Smit <TSmit@novatel.ca>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 09:22:15 -0700
The hot-tanking process that they use on engine blocks removes all things that
are not iron, doesn't it? Grease, dirt, cam bearings, aluminum, etc. The
automatic dishwasher pump probably wouldn't survive a load of silica grit.

I would suggest maybe experimenting with a heat gun and scraper, followed by
bead blasting to get rid of the remaining crud. Wash it in Varsol with a stiff
bristle brush to get the grit out, then dunk it in a sink full of hot water to
remove the varsol.
Air dry.

If you're going to paint them, wipe them down with laquer thinner first.

Theo