Re: Barrons blows it...SUV's

To: Dennis Crimmins <Crimmins@pacbell.net>
Subject: Re: Barrons blows it...SUV's
From: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 08:14:39 -0800
NO TIGER CONTENT

Dennis Crimmins wrote:

> The austin mini "Moke" was the first sport utility vehicle.
>
> Dennis Crimmins

Rande and I have been trading ideas as to what came first.  I have re-read my
original letter, and see that it could have been read that the "Land Rover".
The "they' I was referring to was the industry, to necessarily Rover.

Dennis votes for the mini-moke.  I thought that Safari and desert vehicles
before W.W.I and II may meet the 'definition'.  Even those without tops could
be considered "convertible" versions of the breed.

However, it just occurred to me that we have a much more recent example we
don't have to research National Geographic and old silent film newsreels for.

How about the 1950's VW mini van, bus, camper, etc.  Not all "SUV's" have 4 WD,
and those VW's were driven off road as often as one was painted with flowers
later in the '60's.

They had removable seats, utility and passenger and cargo capabilities.  Off
road capability. Some were mounted with machine guns in the middle east. Even
had 4 wheel IRS.

Not sure what a proper definition of an SUV is, I am sure that "Suburban"
demeans the country and off road capabilities.

Just a thought.  Probably the first had wooden wheels and was drawn by an ox.

{9->

Steve
--
                      < one first win, is all >