Re: Koni's

To: "Bill Lawrence" <billlawrence@hotmail.com>, tigers@Autox.Team.Net,
Subject: Re: Koni's
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 11:13:14 -0800
Bell, Jay, et Listers,

I've tried various shocks on my Tiger, SHO, and other "performance"
vehicles including Bilstein (that's bil-stine, not bil-steen), Spax, etc.,
but so far never Konis. I have also looked for cheaper solutions that work
acceptably well. In particular, I am now using shocks for a Ford 1/2 ton
van application on the rear of my Tiger. I found they were dead ringers for
the oem Tiger rear shocks, but of course somewhat stiffer. The ones I got
seem to be more-or-less 50/50 as you would want for performance driving
rather than the soft compression, soft rebound type engineered more for
ride comfort. These shocks may be a bit stiff for the stock rear springs,
but if you have stiffened the springs as I have, they seem to be about
right. I got ones made by Gabriel, but Monroe might be a bit higher quality
(and price). I also got the "hijacker" version that lets me adjust the ride
height with air pressure. This really comes in handy with my low basic ride
height. The part number on the Gabriels I bought is 39173. They work a
whole lot better than the Spax they replaced, and cheaper too.

I have mentioned the use of these shocks previously, but thought it might
be apropos to repeat in the current thread.

Merry Christmas from Sunny S.D.,

Bob

At 09:45 AM 12/23/98 -0800, Bill Lawrence wrote:

>Tigers
>
>Truesports, in Columbus OH is also an excellent source for sales and
>service of Koni Shocks.
>
>Bill Lawrence
>>

>>I spoke to Rick a week or so ago about shocks.  He has pretty much run
>out
>>of Koni's.  Koni requires orders of 100 or more.  Last time Rick split
>the
>>order with CAT.  He did not seem to think there was enough demand for
>him
>>to order them just now.
>>
>>Here are two companies that advertise Koni's in my Porsche magazine:
>>Paragon Products, 800 200-9366 orders, 512 289-8834 info, and RD
>>Enterprises 800 683-2890 orders, 619 444-9768 info, www.shox.com.
>>
>>They may be worth a try.
>>
>>Jay

Robert L. Palmer
Dept. of AMES, Univ. of Calif., San Diego
rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu
rpalmer@cts.com