Re: Stud length for alloy wheels

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Stud length for alloy wheels
From: TIGEROOTES@aol.com
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 1999 07:35:40 EST
Mike,
When Bud Bohrer had aluminum Tiger front hubs manufactured, I bought a set.  I
installed the ARP 7/16" studs. I put the mag-style lug nuts on my lathe,
drilled thru the heads, tapped them and gained over a quarter inch of threaded
contact between the studs and nuts.  I left the studs at full length so if I
choose to use a wheel with a thick center or spacers there will always be
plenty of stud.  The original studs on my Tiger had stretched, and this could
be seen visually!  I don't recall reading in the PDR that SCCA requires
anything special regarding wheel studs...but it is a good idea.  I think
installing 1/2" studs on a 2600 pound car is overkill, and all it really does
is increase unsprung weight x 16 studs.
Jim Leach,      Seattle

PS: If anyone has an extra set of Tiger rear hubs available, I would like to
have a set!