Re: alternator

To: "James E. Pickard" <geowiz@www.worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: alternator
From: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 1999 07:41:53 -0800
Jim,

Loose wire, huh?

My father used to believe that any failure of any electric
device was always "a loose wire".  Later in life, when I was
actually earning my own money, and solid state electronics
were coming into prominence, I would try to explain that
there are barely any 'wires' left to be loose, or shorted.
He wouldn't accept it.  Even later, when integrated circuits
and PC wave soldered boards made 'repair' a task that cost
more than buying a new one, he still would insist on 'a
loose wire'.

Last month my mother turned 90, bless her.  Her TV set
started to act intermittently, the worst kind of fault to
track.  She insisted it was a 'loose wire'.  Explaining to
her was no more effective than it had been to my Dad.  She
accepted the argument, however, that the repair of an older
set would cost more than the price  "Good Guys" were selling
a new one, with more and better features and performance.
Some $300 later she had a beautiful new TV.  The old Sony,
which she gave to her housekeeper, had apparently been fixed
by her brother.  You guessed it.  A loose wire!!!!!

You can't win for losing.  On a Tiger, however, a loose wire
is probably the FIRST thing to look for, if not a bad
ground, short, or other Lucas "Feature".

{9->

Steve

--
                      < one first win, is all >