E.C.-1 Aluminum Air Cleaner Housing

To: Tigers@triumph.cs.utah.edu
Subject: E.C.-1 Aluminum Air Cleaner Housing
From: TigerCoupe@aol.com
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 14:50:05 EST
The recent discussion of an aluminum air cleaner housing motivated me to dig
into my files, where I found a review in the November 1981 issue of CAT Tiger
Tales which read as follows:

"Wayne Wasem and Bob Yurasits have come up with this very tidy-looking
aftermarket Tiger air cleaner assembly.  Dubbed "East Coast One" by its
developers. They claim it to be "the LAT option that never was."

"The unit matches the original Tiger valve covers, so as to appear like a
factory option.  The kit includes the top and bottom pieces with a 'unique'
Tiger win nut--all for $80.00 plus a 10% shipping charge."

"The air cleaner is made of 319 aluminum, and uses the stock Tiger air filter.
The wing nut is drilled and tapped at 1/4-20.  Depending on your application,
additional drilling might be required for access to carburetor float
adjustment screws."

"Delivery is quoted at six weeks."

The article went on to list the address (Pennsylvania) and phone number for
Wayne Wasem, and included 2 photos of the air cleaner unit; a disassembled
view of the three pieces, and a shot of it installed on a Tiger with optional
LAT-8 valve covers.

My son, Brad, got me one of these units as a gift back in 1981 (he wanted my
chrome stock unit for his Tiger!), and I still have it. It fits under my
original LAT 79 fiberglass hood without any clearance problems, on an F4B
manifold and Holley carb with a K&N filter element.  Although repulsive to the
purists because it is not a legitimate Tiger option, it matches the LAT-8s
perfectly and looks like it really belonged there as part of the dress-up
option package.

During the past year I assisted a local Tiger owner in acquiring one of these
units from a member of this list (sorry, I don't remember who it was).  He got
a nice one for around $100, as I recall.  Or maybe it was $150?  It included
the Tiger wing-nut (unusual, because these tend to split if over tightened.
Brad was smart and bought a couple extra, which were untapped.) There were a
couple additional responses to our search inquiry to the list, so obviously
there are some still out there.  I don't know what Tiger Tom is
selling--NOS/used units, a continuation of the original run, or repros?

Each assembly had a serial number (mine is #15, made 6/81), and I have seen
one numbered in the 80s.  I don't know how many total were produced, but I
would guess probably somewhere around 100 or so.

FWIW.

Dick Barker