Re: Rust, POR15 and Corroless

To: Chris.S.Mottram@ecc.com, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Rust, POR15 and Corroless
From: ritchie@mcn.org (Armand & Lorie Ritchie)
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 09:16:50 -0800 (PST)
>I am fixing some rust on the floor boards, trunk, etc.  I was thinking
>about using POR15 or Corroless.  Is this basically the same stuff?  Where
>can I find POR 15?  Am I better off just sanding/phosphoric acid to bare
>metal then priming etc?  Should I use this stuff on the body panels?
>
>Thanks,
>Chris

Chris I've used both products and personally I think the Corroless is
better.  It is very thick and contains fiber glass that holds the surface
together and forms an impermeable layer.  It's excellant. I painted the
trunk floor on my old alpine and I just saw it again last summer when I
visited the new owner and the trunk floor still looked perfect after 5
years. No rust bleed through.
I also tried using the phosphoric acid and was unhappy with the results.
It didn't work that good and wept through the paint.  So I recommend just
using a wire brush wheel in you drill and removing the loose rust and
coating with Corroless or Por 15 which ever one you choose to use.

Corroless is availabler from Eastwood Products:     www.eastwoodco.com

POR 15 from Restomotive Labs Div POR 15, Inc.    :http://www.por15.com

Hope this helps. Armand

ritchie@mcn.org