Tiger For Sale

To: "tiger" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Tiger For Sale
From: Pen Pendleton <pen@groundzero.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 99 15:51:13 -0800
I sent this e-mail out a month or so ago, and got not one response, which
surprised me (But then again, I guess all you guys already own Tigers.)
Anyway, With the holidays, and such, I have yet to get around to putting
ads in the appropriate magazines and selling the car, so I thought I'd
also send this out again.

It is a great, original Tiger!

It is with great sorrow that I must impart the following news: my Tiger
is for sale for $15,000.

Mk1
1965
B9471598
LAT 70 wheels
LAT traction bars
LAT engine dress-up kit
White exterior
Black interior
Tonneau Cover (new)
Short gear shift lever
New Tires
Original spare & jack
Non-original (to the car) hardtop that needs restoring

The car is in very original condition. It has the generator, the air
cleaner and other such things that the "originality" fans get excited
about.

General Stuff
When I bought the car only a short time ago, I had the car checked out by
Al Scrivner, ex-Hollywood Sports Car mechanic (he's had his own British
car business for quite some time). Al gave me a huge thumbs-up on the
car. Compression was good, as were the clutch & gearbox. The car is
completely rust-free. Some rubber stuff needs to be replaced (traction
bar and panhard rod bushings). The only thing that Al instructed me to do
was have the panhard rod bracket rewelded to the frame, which I did.

The engine has definitely been out the car before. The engine compartment
is painted black. Al feels that the motor was probably rebuilt at some
point and breathed-on a bit - he thinks head work vs. a cam. In any
event, it is mild work, because the car is totally tractable in town and
does not run hotter (water temp) than a stock Tiger. Sounds great, too!
Great motor.

Paint
Pretty good shape for a driver. Not a show car paint job! No scratches or
dents, but there are two small spots where the paint has lost its shade
(it's
hard to explain) - they are not big spots, though. All the chrome is
great.

Top/Interior/Electrics
Top is in great shape, a couple small tears in the back where the top got
caught on the top cover (I presume). The wood dash is in great shape. The
clock doesn't work. The tach needs to be rebuilt. All other gauges and
electrics work fine (wipers, lights, lighter, heater). The driver's seat
need to be redone. The upholstery is a bit torn at a seam, and the seat
back is needs to be rewelded. The passenger seat is ok. The carpet is
good too.

This a great Tiger. In the past, I have always poured a ton of money into
my new cars after I bought them, but with the Tiger - even though some of
this detail work needed to be done - I didn't do it. I drove it! And have
had a blast. (Although Steve Laifman would not approve of the telephone
book I put behind the seat to secure the backrest!!)

So, if you want a turn-key driver to fix up a little when you get the
time, money and inclination, it's a great car. Considering its original
condition, it would also be a good car to completely restore, although if
you wanted to do a ground-up, I guess it would be more cost-effective to
restore a $7000 Tiger.

Anyway, Norman Miller was gracious enough to inform me that the car has a
12/80 entry in the Registry showing the car in the ownership of a Harold
Furhman, of Los Angeles. I have no further paperwork history on the car.

For you numbers freaks, the numbers on the engine compartment plates are:
B9471598...LRX FE
2608...T12KA
19
JAL: 561161
(I don't have the engine plate numbers handy)

So that's it. I hate to sell, but, unfortunately, I must. I honestly
think it's a good deal.

My name: Pen Pendleton

City: Los Angeles

Phone/Day/Weekdays: 310-881-8031