18 year old Engine

To: "Sunbeam Tiger List" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: 18 year old Engine
From: "Rich Atherton" <gumby@connectexpress.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 08:40:50 -0800
Preface:

    This is what "I" would do if this was my new tiger, and wasn't planning
on building up a new engine, and just wanted to get it running with the
least amount of work and heartache.  This represents my opinions only.  I do
not, have not owned a Tiger, but have owned a Series IV Alpine, and a 65
Sunbeam IMP.  The Imp had sat for several years and was in similar condition
to what you described.  I returned my IMP to the road by doing the
following....

---------------

        While the internals of the engine, if they were previously cared for
correctly, may be fine, the Fuels system will not be.  As you stated, pull
the plugs add some oil, replace the pan fill with oil, and would absolutely
break it loose with breaker bar on the crank.  get at least two full correct
rotations out of it to be sure that there are no stuck valves.  Personally,
at this point, I would mark and pull the distributor, and run the oil pump
as a pre oiler with a drill and an attachment..

    Since the fuel system will be unusable, I would have previously removed
the carb and fuel pump, and would have had the carb boiled out, tested the
pump, and probably just would have replaced it.  Would have also reverse
pumped carb cleaner backward through the fuel lines to remove the gum and
crud that would have been in there.  Even for the pain involved, probably
would remove the tanks, and crossover pipe and have all boiled out as well.
Tanks then pressure tested and sealed.

    But for just testing the engine, I reinstall the newly cleaned and
rebuilt carb, and run a fuel line from a Gravity feed tank.  There's enough
pressure there to fill the carb for test running.  after pre-oiling replace
the Distributor, and hit starter to see how it spins fast.  If all sounds
correct, install new plugs.  Spin it again, the coil grounded.  to see how
it sounds with compression.  if OK, then you'll need to get some water in
the engine somehow.  You said the radiator was destroyed, so.....would
either remove the fan belt to keep the water pump from spinning  (for a very
short 45 second or less test run), or would pipe the upper and lower hoses
together somehow, to give you a 3 to 5 minute run time before the water
pressure and temp would get too high.   Either Way....I would NEVER just hit
the key and see what happens.

    I would expect it to belch some good smoke for a while (Oil from your
squirt in the plug holes, plus possible temporarily stuck rings, and dry
valve seals), but I would expect it to light off, especially if it had been
stored inside, or at least in a dry climate.

    If you heard or felt anything that kept it from turning by hand....you
guessed it....It's probably a tear down at that point !!

Oh Yeah!   Be very Careful of the Electrical system.  Check the Battery
cables carefully from the battery box, all the way forward!....And that
ground strap under the car...would be best if you had someone at the battery
(New one of course) who can yank off the cable if a Lucas smoke starts to
appear somewhere.....You just can't be too careful with the Lucas stuff!
They used W.W.II surplus Smoke, which is in VERY short supply now......

Bottom Line!   Way to Go....You OWN a Sunbeam Tiger !!!    I wish I were you
!

Rich