Re: 5.0 disributors

To: Scott Lampert <netscott@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: 5.0 disributors
From: Tom Hall <modtiger@engravers.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 20:12:25 -0800
At 05:16 PM 1/19/99 +0000, you wrote:
>i wanted to use my mallory distributor (4755101) for 260/289/302 in my
>5.0 motor. it has a shorter shaft that drives the oil pump by .5". you
>need the (4770401)
>some day my car will run.
>
>p.s. that distributor for 260/289/302 is for sale
>
>scott
>B9472628

        If your 5.0 has a roller cam, be sure you use a steel gear on whatever
distributor you end up using.  The driven gear must match the cam material
or you'll get maybe  a hundred miles or so before you do a total rebuild.
Flat tappet cams are cast and use cast gears.  Roller cams are steel and
use steel gears.  You can also opt for an aftermarket bronze gear but
expect to have to change it every 10K or so to prevent failure.

Tom