Re: Positive and/or negative earth: Why on earth?

To: "Rande Bellman" <rande@thecia.net>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Positive and/or negative earth: Why on earth?
From: "Rich Atherton" <gumby@connectexpress.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 05:17:26 -0800
>Again from the U.S. perspective, we installed lots of non-factory sound
>systems, like Motorola, Clarion, and Blaupunkt, and until the British
>car makers switched to negative earth, we couldn’t install them in older
>Rootes and BMC cars because they were generally made for negative ground
>systems only.

    Not True!.  To ad a negative grounded device in a positive grounded car,
meant that the installer, had to be very careful to insulate the device
completely away from the chassis of the car.  My 65 Series IV Alpine was a
Positive ground car, (strange that my 65 Imp was negative!), and I installed
a Blaupunkt 8-Track...yes, I was the one!!....under the dash, and speakers
on the rear center soft top fold down cover.  The device itself was wrapped
in neoprene rubber sheet, and the side mount screws past through nylon
bushings and washers.  The unit was completely insulated away from the
chassis, as verified by Volt Ohm meter.  Simply wired it up correctly with a
fuse in line, installed the speakers in their plastic housing, and off we
went.  Earth Wind & Fire blaring from the car...Top down always of
course....never had a single problem with that...
    So YES, it can, and was done...at least by me.  I assume others did this
or something similar as well...I still have that tae deck somewhere...

Rich