RE: MT speed limits

To: Theo Smit <TSmit@novatel.ca>, "'Allan Connell, Jr.'" <alcon@earthlink.net>,
Subject: RE: MT speed limits
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Fri, 05 Feb 1999 10:27:30 -0800
At 10:51 AM 2/5/99 -0700, Theo Smit wrote:
>The Mitsubishi is a 3700 lb car, right? So putting that powerplant in a
2600 lb
>Tiger is bound to have some beneficial effect, especially at lower speeds
where
>you don't get nailed by the aerodynamics quite as much. Did you keep the
>four-wheel drive, Jan?
>
>-Theo

Theo, Jan,

My comment exactly Theo. Also, might add my close encounter with a 3000GT
at Willow Springs last year. I was about 2/3 the way down the straightaway
intent on keeping up with someone else when I glanced in my rear view
mirror which was reflecting an extreme closeup of a 3000GT. Hey, where'd
this guy come from?? Well, throw another log on the fire!! I'm happy to
report that his four wheel anti-lock brakes kept him off my bumper in turn
1, but after that I never saw him again. Four wheel drive and  bitchin
aerodynamics or no, throwing 3700" around a sharp turn at high speed has
its definite limitations.

Bob
Robert L. Palmer
Dept. of AMES, Univ. of Calif., San Diego
rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu
rpalmer@cts.com