Re: Alpine/Tiger windshield, frame, and mirror for sale

To: tjhiggin@chris.iss.ingr.com (T.J. Higgins),
Subject: Re: Alpine/Tiger windshield, frame, and mirror for sale
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 1999 10:40:11 -0800
At 11:17 AM 2/8/99 -0600, T.J. Higgins wrote:
>One of the local MG guys ended up with a Sunbeam windshield, frame,
>and rear-view mirror in one of his dealings.  He has no use for it and
>is looking to sell.  It will fit a Series 4/5 Alpine or any Tiger
>(I think it will fit the Series 3 Alpine also but I'm not positive of
>that).
>
>Everything is in excellent condition.  Not a scratch on the
>windshield.  Chrome is in great shape on both the frame and mirror,
>very little or no tarnishing.
>
>He wants to sell it all as a unit, since it's all put together and
>ready to bolt onto your car.  Price is $150 + shipping.  Located in
>Huntsville, Alabama.
>
>Contact Tom Keith at tkeith00@lsnca.org to arrange payment/delivery.
>
>--
>T.J. Higgins
>tjhiggin@ingr.com
>Huntsville, AL

T.J., et Listers,

There is a little peculiarity regarding Alpine/Tiger windshield frames that
is discussed in The Book of Norman, starting on page 8. This has to do with
the fact that some relatively small number of windshield frames have only a
single mounting stud at each corner instead of the usual two. This
apparently occurs in both Tigers and Alpines built in late '64 and early
'65. There are approximately 200 Tigers with this configuration, including
mine, B9472134, JAL 561703. Norm has found Tigers with single-post frames
with JALs as low as 561536 and as high as 561735. These Tigers have their
bodies drilled to match the single-post configuration. If you happen to
have one of these cars and replace the windshield frame, you may want to
preserve the originality by removing the "extra" stud rather than drilling
extra holes in the cowl.

Bob
Robert L. Palmer
Dept. of AMES, Univ. of Calif., San Diego
rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu
rpalmer@cts.com