Re: painter

To: Timothy Beloney <TBeloney@Wyse.com>
Subject: Re: painter
From: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 17:15:01 -0800
Tim,

All taste isn't in the mouth.

It's my understanding that a two stage paint job indicates a
clear coat after the main color coat(s).  I, personally,
don't think this looks very good, unless you have a metallic
paint.  There are many reasons NOT to do it.  One is the
final sand and polish is on a clear coat, and you can't be
sure where it ends, and the color paint begins.  Another is
in repairs.  Entire sections must be done, as clear cannot
successfully be applied over clear.

Now I am NOT an expert on these things, so I could be very
wrong, it's just what I was told by many painters, and paint
suppliers.

There is also the question of the base materials and whether
an curing agent (two stage, which has NOTHING to do with the
number of coats) or enamel.  The two stage process uses a
polyurethane PLUS an accelerator (hardener).  There are
polyurethane paint jobs without hardeners.  They are
cheaper.

Anyway, that's my understanding, and I am sure I will be
corrected if I am wrong.  You betcha.

Steve

--
                      < one first win, is all >