Re: Fuel Pump over Muffler

To: DJoh797014@aol.com
Subject: Re: Fuel Pump over Muffler
From: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 16:55:07 -0800

DJoh797014@aol.com wrote:

>                 The replacement pump with electronic point eliminates
>            the fun or the original.

D.,

Funny passage.

 Recently discovered that the so-called "electronic points" SU
replacement pump is misrepresented.  I understand that it has the same
old points system as we've got, but they have replace (or placed) a
tantalum capacitor across the points to reduce arcing and point
wear/pitting.

Since this point problem is the major weak area of the pump ('swipe with
calling card to clean' read my MG TD directions, and they didn't mean
one from a Telephone Service - more like a business card you gave the
butler to tell the owner you were visiting)

Now, this is not a bad idea, but may not be worth the cost difference if
you buy a tantalum capacitor at an electronics shop. Id guess about 0.05
MFD with a 30 volt min rating.  Put it across the points
(electronically, not physically) and mind your polarity.

A real solid state electronic switch would really be nice.  These are an
easy design for an EE, and the current isn't so great that the
components are that expensive.

Maybe some Electronickers out there would like to try.  Mark Olson has a
Tach calibrator he designed.  I'd do it, but it would probably ignite at
T-0 and launch the Tiger.  {9->

Steve

--
                      < one first win, is all >