Fuel pump switch/Gas Cap

To: Bob Burruss <burruss@camber.com>
Subject: Fuel pump switch/Gas Cap
From: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 1999 20:02:22 -0500
At 12:45 PM 2/21/99 -0700, you wrote:

>I know a Tiger owner who drove home (several miles) with his fuel pump kill
>switch switched off!  Seems the afternoon sun had warmed everthing enough to
>create a little pressure in the fuel tanks.  The pump wasn't needed.  I
>still think the switch is a good idea.
>   --Bob Burruss

Bob,
        Back in the early 1970 I filled up my Tiger II with
gas and then went to work.  It warmed up that day and
at 5:00 I hit the key to go home.  Well, the starter would
not turn the motor.  I checked under the hood and smelled gas.
Checked the oil and it was indicating oil at the top of the dip
stick.  The pressure relief valve (if any) in the gas cap
had failed and filled the cylinder(s) and crankcase with
gasoline.  Had to drain the oil/gas right there and refill with
new oil.  The motor turned over after a few more tries.
I drilled a small vent hole in the interior of the gas cap
and haven't had that problem since.  That was the first
modification to my Tiger II and I haven't stopped yet.
        Still do not know if there is a valve in the
gas cap.  Would have to to distroy the pot-metal rivets to get
the cap apart.
James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others