Re: shift out of luck

To: netscott@earthlink.net, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: shift out of luck
From: FrizBMG@aol.com
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 12:52:52 EST
In a message dated 2/23/99 11:12:32 AM, netscott@earthlink.net writes:

>still looking for a 6 bolt slave bracket. none at cat or ss.
>help.
>
>scott
>B9472628
Hi Scott
 I just got in from Tiger Auto in Dayton Ohio.I went over for some odd bolts
for my car.Doug Jennings showed me the 5-to 6 bolt solution.He can take a
6bolt bell and using a big-eared(later) trans case as a guide drill holes in
the proper place and heliarc proper bolts to the inside of the bell to mount
the trans.He said it would cost less than $100.His solution for the clutch
slave bracket was to take the 5bolt piece and cut off the far end bolt hole
and splice in a metal section and weld that in place effectively lengthening
the unit to be usable with a 6 bolt.What I dont like about that idea is that I
would lose the ability to convert my car back to 5 bolt status if I chose to
do so at a later date,to keep it original.I intend to take the bracket to a
metalworking shop here and have them cut me a new bracket out of 3/8 in steel
stock,using my part as a pattern.
 Doug also mentioned that the bearing retainer was a bit different.I assume he
is talking about the throw out bearing on the fork.
I dont know where you live Scott,but I am sure other Tiger shops that might be
closer to your area have devised similar workarounds.
 Goodluck
Tony