insurance anyone?

To: "tigers@autox.team.net" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: insurance anyone?
From: Chris Thompson <cthompson@rrinc.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 22:57:58 -0500
Just found out about this list last week, so I'm now watching you guys.  I own
B382000331.  Question I have is insurance.  There were some posts in the past
week about insurance and pleasure driving.  How can driving a Tiger not be
pleasure?  I drive my Tiger on the weekends on the Blue Ridge Parkway and all,
almost never for "club" or show events, but mostly will drive it to work in the
summer.  No more than a couple thousand miles a year.  Have a Stealth for a
daily driver (much prefer the Tiger).

Found one insurance group on the web http://www.gaic.com/classic.htm that
seemed to fit my needs - allows pleasure driving up to 2,500 miles per year.
 Only restrictions I can't meet are locked garage (I live in one of the safest
places in the world it seems - I don't even lock my house, and the keys are
kept in the ignition of the Tiger so I don't misplace 'em), and restrictions on
tickets (I liked that "Hey, you are planning on revvin that som-a-bitch up,
aren't ya?" quote earlier this week).

If this is not already a tired topic that I've missed, I am soliciting input
from folks on good insurance companies for our pride and joys.  I suspect that
other folks on the list are paying too much for insurance.  Hard to tell, since
I had some other old cars in the quote, but I think I got quoted from gaic
about one third what I have been paying - best guess is about $150 per year for
*full* coverage, including non-accident damage.

Look forward to y'alls postings, and would appreciate feedback on the insurance
stuff, as it could help a lot of folks.  I'll chime in only when I think I have
something to offer to you.

If anyone is interested, I bought 331 in San Francisco area coupla years ago -
won second place at United XXI (yeah I read all those posts in the fall about
United judging), but Norm, bless his heart, recommended this car to me.  Since
then, I've put only a coupla thousand miles on the cat, and have added an E-F4B
and requisite Holley, had the speedo twice to moma, have the brake booster
currently at Smitty's (he sounds like the expert, if you don't know him send me
mail and I'll tell you about him), repainted the lower half due to kick up from
my gravel road and driveway (switched tire types and solved the problem -
sticky tires will pick up that gravel and throw it - woulda really thought),
added ammeter (couldn't have done it right without rick at sunbeam specialties
- the wiring diagram is wrong if you don't know), put in electronic ignition,
added the traction kit from that feller in CA as the traction-masters are no
longer available (very happy with 'em, btw), and you know the rest.  Had an
Alpine as a kid, so I knew full well what I was getting into.

Look forward to hearing from you!

Chris Thompson
Executive Vice President
Recognition Research, Inc