Re: clutch slip

To: "James E. Pickard" <geowiz@www.worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: clutch slip
From: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 22:06:03 -0800
Jim,

Yes, you can replace the clutch with the engine in the car,
providing you do NOT have headers.

1) Put car on hoist (best to have it so you can stand
underneath)
2) Remove drive shaft, and support engine with sturdy
muffler stand (garage type vertical post with saddle and
wood load spreader on sump)  support tranny too.  Damn thing
weighs a ton.
3) Undo bolts between bell housing and motor (including
starter).  The upper two can be reached with
a 'wobble' extension socket.  Remove upper shift assembly
from brackets.  don't need to take off all the shift
mechanism.
4) Remove bell housing to tranny bolts (need small cut-off
box wrench for some of them).  Remove speedo drive cable.
The nut can be reached inside car, behind plate under tranny
cover carpet.
5) Remove rear motor mounts and bracket.
6) Tranny can now be backed out. Be careful, it is very
heavy.  Got to go back straight until first motion shaft
clears pilot bearing, then it can be angled slightly till
you clear clutch.
7) Lower tranny and remove bell housing.
8) Removing clutch plate takes a lot of torque.  Be sure
your rear engine support is sturdy.

Some further tricks on modification of speedo drive hold
down ring are possible and recommended, or it will be a
bitch getting it back in without baby fingers.

Anyway, it works, and you don't have to drill any holes in
the firewall to get at those two upper motor bolts.

Have fun.  I looked this over and paid someone to do it that
had a full garage hoist, holder, Snap-On wobble socket
extensions, and more than one set of hands.  It was well
worth it.  Look at that TO bearing, the tranny seals, shift
linkage, etc. before you put it back.

Hope I didn't leave out a step or two.  I am sure I will be
corrected, if I did.  Count on it.

Good luck.  And that tranny IS heavy, a two people job,
standing up.  Forget it, on your back, unless you have a
very good tranny jack.

Steve

--
                      < one first win, is all >