Rear Brakes

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Rear Brakes
From: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 1999 17:59:33 -0500
Folks,
        Help!
        I finally got the 83 Mustang power brake unit installed
 in the trunk, activated with the original Tiger master-cylinder
and the clutch slave cylinder.   As usual I had problems.
The rear brake cylinders leaked.  I took them apart and found
a lot of crud in the cylinders.  I cleaned and lightly honed the
cylinders.  That stopped the leaks.  The seals were very good.

        The rear cylinders are held in with two "horse-shoes"
and an oval spring.  This allows the cylinder to slide on
the backing plate.  After spending an hour or so I finally
got the "horse-shoes" in properly with the tabs of the oval
spring fitting in the stamped out area of the "horse-shoes"
and the ends of the spring under the tab on the "horse-shoe"
I adjusted the rear brakes and proceeded to bleed the brakes.
The next time I looked the "horse-shoe" had come loose
and was close to falling out.  I moved the "horse-shoe
back to it's proper location, but it soon popped out again.
I had also greased the backing plate to allow the assy to
slide easy.

        What am I doing wrong?  Are the "horse-shoes"
susposed to be wired to the spring?  I wired one and
found that it was very difficult to get the wire
(24 gauge steel MIG welding wire)installed.
There is a hole in the tab of the  "horse-shoe"
and a notch in the ends of the oval spring.
This is where I put the wire loop.
James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others