Re: Traction Bars

To: Bill Gegg <billgegg@ci.antioch.ca.us>,
Subject: Re: Traction Bars
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 1999 08:11:10 -0800
Bill, et Listers,

While this might seem like a good idea at first blush (i.e., this setup
gives equal swing radii), it seems to me there will be a problem arising
from the bending of the spring and the consequent change in effective
length. This will make the forward half of the spring essentially unable to
bend and create a lot of conflict between the traction bar and leaf
springs, which is precisely what I believe you are trying to avoid. This is
also the problem with the weld-on bars, but this interference can be all
but eliminated by adjusting the height of the front mounting point to
create compatible swing radii of axle and traction bar. Usually the forward
mount of the traction bar is too high, creating a strong interference. It
should be low enough to make the bar almost parallel with the ground. You
can test it by jacking up and lowering one rear wheel and check where the
forward end of the traction bar locates. Find the height where there is no
motion fore or aft in the region of the neutral ride height of the axle.
Setup would be greatly simplified if you make the length of the traction
bars adjustable. Otherwise, you will have to adjust the front mounting
point fore and aft as well. It is my opinion, as yet unproven, that if done
as I describe here, this setup would be superior to the bolt-on style bars.
Of course, I'm sure to get some contrary opinions, but that's what makes
this fun.

Bob

At 07:48 AM 3/1/99 -0800, Bill Gegg wrote:
>I knew if I waited long enough, we would get back to traction bars.  I am
>thinking about removing my weld-on bars and converting them so that they
>attach to the front eye of the rear springs.  I would appreciate
>ideas/thoughts on the matter.

Robert L. Palmer
Dept. of AMES, Univ. of Calif., San Diego
rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu
rpalmer@cts.com