inquiry 030499c

To: "National Corporation (E-mail)" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: inquiry 030499c
From: "Wright, Larry" <lrw@aop.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 07:58:19 -0500
Mike wrote:
>I, personally, don't like the looks of luggage racks, feeling they
detract
>from the lines of the car

Yeah, I must agree, although if some is really hauling around a lot of
stuff, the rack could be handy, and I don't just mean the wicker picnic
hamper that could fit inside. I recall catalogs (Amco in MG Mitten?)
with 3 flavors of rack: suction-cup-and-strap, permanent bolt-on, and
"demountable" where every thing came off but 4 studs (?) when you
weren't using it. The last one, I'd think, would've been the best for
occasional use on a Tiger. Instead, I just try to pack light; I got
everything into the trunk or back seat for United, although it was a
near-run thing.

>with superfluous clutter.

Ditto bumpers, mirrors, windshield... :^)

>Of course, I'm not really
>THAT partial to the styling of the Tiger in general. Pleasant, cute,
"sporty"
>yes; drop dead gorgeous, no.

I hope you won't mind that I take the opposite opinion. I cannot think
of anything in its size/price/era class that looks as good; the only
unfortunate feature is the jutting "chin" between the grille and front
bumper, if I was racing a Tiger or Alpine I'd be tempted to leave the
bumper _on_ to hide it. MGB? Healey? TR4? The latter is not bad, but
still the Tiger is cleaner (if it doesn't have a luggage rack). Volvo
P1800? Not a bad rebuttal, but still no go.

>Too much rear overhang (or, the rear wheels are
>too far forward),

Right now, I'm surrounded by Tiger pictures, I don't see it. A dramatic
difference between the rear and front overhangs, for sure, but I think
the visual mass towards the rear is more due to:

>vestigial "fins" etc. will never earn the car a spot in any
>museum of art.

I'm "pro-fin", I think the car would look worse without them, which is
why the Sunbeam Herrington LeMans could never appeal to me. Perhaps it's
an age thing: I was born in '56, the year so many cars sprouted fins,
the 1st car I remember is my mother's 1957 Desoto Adventurer and my
first car was a 1960 Chrysler New Yorker.

Oh well, tastes vary (or the pre-98 Cougar would never have been
offered!), I'm glad you're keeping your "ugly" Tiger. :^)

Lawrence R. Wright
Purchasing Analyst
Andrews Office Products Div. of USOP
lrw@aop.com